Recipe for baked muffin in-office allergy challenge
Wheat-free Baked Milk muffins (contains eggs)
Ingredients (makes 6 muffins):
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour (this recipe works best with rice flour rather than a gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp oil, such as corn oil
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake muffins only in an oven that is completely preheated to 350F.
2. Grease 6 muffin tins (wipe oil around each cup or use cooking spray).
3. Mix well all dry ingredients in a large bowl (rice flour, sugar, salt, baking powder).
4. In a separate bowl, stir together the liquid ingredients until well combined (milk, egg, vanilla, oil).
5. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients stirring with a spatula or spoon. Mix until combined, about 20 s; batter will be thin and lumpy. Do not overmix!
6. Divide the batter into the 6 prepared muffin liners. Depending on the size of your muffin tin, you may need to fill the muffin tins all the way to the top.
7. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. A knife or toothpick placed in the center of a muffin must be dry. Cool completely before serving.
Any changes to this recipe must be approved by your doctor or dietitian.
If you make more than 6 muffins, please note how many muffins you made and bring at least 2 muffins with you on the day of the challenge.
In order to proceed with an Oral Food Challenge, please make sure that:
- Your child has not had signs of illness, fever, or active respiratory symptoms (ie, wheeze or cough) for at least 5 days
- Your child has not used a short-acting b-agonist (albuterol) within the preceding 48 hours for cough or wheeze
- Your child was able to stop all antihistamines (see full list and number of days to stop for on the homepage)
Please label container – Baked Milk, Wheat Free (contains Eggs)