Recipe for baked egg in-office allergy challenge
Baked Egg muffins
Ingredients (makes 6 muffins):
- 1 cup all-purpose wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp canola oil (or other tolerated vegetable oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup rice milk (may use other tolerated milk or milk substitute)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake muffins only in an oven that is completely preheated to 350F.
2. Line a muffin pan with 6 muffin liners. Use aluminum or parchment paper muffin liners or alternatively, you may grease the muffin tins with Pam or safe margarine (or butter if not allergic to milk).
3. Stir together the liquid ingredients until well combined: milk, canola oil, vanilla extract, and egg. Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder).
5. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients all at once and gently stir with a large spoon (about 15-20 light strokes) until wet and dry ingredients are just combined. Do not overstir. Some small lumps may remain.
6. Divide the batter into the 6 prepared muffin liners. Depending on the size of your muffin tin, you may need to fill the muffin liners all the way to the top.
7. Bake 30-35 min or until golden brown and firm to the touch. A knife or toothpick placed in the center of a muffin must be dry. Cool completely before serving.
Any changes to this recipe must be approved by your doctor or dietitian.
If you make more than 6 muffins, please note how many muffins you made and bring at least 2 muffins with you on the day of the challenge.
In order to proceed with an Oral Food Challenge, please make sure that:
- Your child has not had signs of illness, fever, or active respiratory symptoms (ie, wheeze or cough) for at least 5 days
- Your child has not used a short-acting b-agonist (albuterol) within the preceding 48 hours for cough or wheeze
- Your child was able to stop all antihistamines (see full list and number of days to stop for on the homepage)
Please label container – Baked Egg and specify whether milk or milk substitute was used