Recipe for baked milk in-office allergy challenge
Baked Milk muffins
Ingredients (makes 6 muffins):
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg* or 1 1/2 tsp egg replacer if child is allergic to egg (Note: We use Ener-G brand egg replacer)
- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour (wheat)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake muffins only in an oven that is completely preheated to 350F.
2. Line a muffin pan with 6 muffin liners.
3. Stir together the liquid ingredients until well combined: milk, canola oil, vanilla extract, egg or egg replacer (although the egg replacer is a dry ingredient, please add at this step). Set aside.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder).
5. Add liquids ingredients to dry ingredients all at once and gently stir with a wooden spoon (about 15-20 light strokes) until wet and dry ingredients are just combined. Do not overstir. Some small lumps may remain.
6. Divide the batter into the 6 prepared muffin liners. Depending on the size of your muffin tin, you may need to fill the muffin liners all the way to the top.
7. Bake 30-35 min or until golden brown and firm to the touch. A knife or toothpick placed in the center of a muffin must be dry. Cool completely before serving.
Any changes to this recipe must be approved by your doctor or dietitian.
If you make more than 6 muffins, please note how many muffins you made and bring at least 2 muffins with you on the day of the challenge.
In order to proceed with an Oral Food Challenge, please make sure that:
- Your child has not had signs of illness, fever, or active respiratory symptoms (ie, wheeze or cough) for at least 5 days
- Your child has not used a short-acting b-agonist (albuterol) within the preceding 48 hours for cough or wheeze
- Your child was able to stop all antihistamines (see full list and number of days to stop for on the homepage)
Please label container – Baked Milk and specify whether egg or egg substitute was used